Compare AA breakdown deals
AA breakdown cover prices start from as low as £40.00 for vehicle based roadside assistance. Roadside cover is the basis for all the AA’s breakdown services to which you can add a number of options including, national recovery, home start, onward travel and European cover. Your AA membership will insure either a single vehicle for whoever is driving, or, will insure you personally in any vehicle whether you are driving or are just a passenger. Personal membership may be extended to cover another 1, 2 or 3 additional persons all living at the same address, see joint or family membership options for more details. Compare every AA breakdown cover policy below in our comparison chart to find the one best for you.
Personal or Vehicle Cover?
Personal Breakdown Cover AA offers 3 levels, individual, joint and family (up to 4 people living at the same registered address). Personal AA membership is ideal if you have access to a number of different vehicles, regardless of whether you drive those vehicles or are just a passenger.
Where personal cover may be your best option.
- You own 2 cars, 1 car is used on week days by driver A, for work, often traveling long distances and using the motorway network, while the other car is a family car used mostly on local journeys by driver B but at the weekend the whole family use it for longer trips. If driver A took out a personal policy, bother cars would be covered when you needed it most, on longer journeys.
- You own more than 1 vehicle such as a car and a motorbike or maybe a car and a motorhome. A personal membership policy would give you coverage for any number of different vehicles all on the same policy.
- You own multiple cars used by multiple family members on a regular basis.
Vehicle Cover is only available for 1 vehicle, there are no options to add 2 cars to a single policy. An AA vehicle membership policy insures a specified car, van, motorcycle or motorhome regardless of who is driving. If you only want the basic roadside package, then a maximum vehicle age limit applies, only vehicles under 10 years old will be accepted, if your vehicle is older than this you will need to opt for personal membership.
Where Vehicle cover may be your best option.
- You own 1 car and more than one person in your household uses it regularly.
- You own 2 cars but different people use one of them for longer journeys.
- You only own 1 car but never drive any other vehicle.
All UK breakdown cover
AA Roadside assistance is the entry level service that forms the basis of all cover. Roadside covers you should you breakdown, so long as you are a minimum of a quarter of a mile from your home or registered address. The service includes AA assistance at the road side by one of their trained patrols, who are able to fix around 4 out of every 5 breakdowns at the roadside, using their on-board diagnostic tools to identify vehicle faults. If your car cannot be fixed at the road side the AA will tow you to a local garage.
AA Recovery, or AA relay, extends the recovery distance for you, your passengers and your vehicle to any single UK destination. If the patrol cannot fix your vehicle or arrange a speedy repair at a local garage, you will be recovered to a destination of your choice.
AA Home start extends coverage to include your home address and the 1/4 mile surrounding it.
Onward Travel or AA Stay Mobile gives you onward travel options if your vehicle cannot be promptly repaired either at the road side or at a local garage that day. Stay Mobile options include the use of a hire car for up to 3 days or, public transport costs for you and your passengers or, if you prefer, overnight accommodation while a local garage fixes your vehicle.
AA in Europe There are 3 levels of AA European Cover starting from as little as
for a a one-day Short Break policy.
- Short Break this is for short single trip cover up to 5 days long and is similar to roadside cover but for Europe
- Lite Cover this gives you the same as short break cover but also includes recovery to the UK should you need to repatriate your vehicle after a breakdown, it also includes a travel or accommodation allowance.
- Full Cover this is the highest level of coverage and includes everything offered with the Lite option plus legal protection and greatly increased travel and accommodation allowances.