Compare RAC breakdown deals
RAC UK breakdown prices start from just £40.00 for single car roadside assistance. Roadside is included in all RAC UK and European policies as standard. If you require a more comprehensive service you can add any or all of the following options; UK recovery, home start, onward travel and European cover. RAC membership can cover either you personally (single, joint or family), in any eligible car, van or motorbike, or, your vehicle (1, 2 or 3 vehicles) regardless of who is driving. If you take out joint or family membership, all persons listed on the policy must live at the same address. Compare all RAC breakdown cover products in our comparison chart below to find the one best for you.
Personal or Vehicle Cover, which to choose?
RAC Personal Breakdown Cover is available for 1 person, or as a joint or family membership option (family can include up to 5 people living at the same registered address). Personal RAC membership is great for people who drive multiple cars or travel in number of different vehicles.
When might personal cover be the best option.
- Breakdown insurance is most useful when you travel longer distances or on the motorways where breaking down means you will have to call someone to fix or tow your vehicle. If you own 2 cars, or more, but one person in your house hold is usually either driving, or a passenger, on longer journeys, personal cover could save you money.
- If you own a car and a motorbike or maybe a car and a van. Personal membership would cover you for all your vehicles on the same policy.
RAC Vehicle Cover is available for 1, 2 or 3 cars on a single policy. Vehicle membership insures the vehicle/s regardless of the driver, policies can include a specified car, van, motorcycle or motorhome as long as they are eligible. Vehicle based roadside cover is not available if your vehicle is over 10 years old, if this is the case, you will need to either, add another service, such as at home or recovery. If however, you only want the basic roadside service you will need to opt for personal membership for older cars.
Vehicle cover may be your best option if.
- You own 1 car, motorbike, van or motorhome that more than one person in your household uses.
- You own 2 cars or more, however, one of them gets used by 2 or more people in your household.
- You have just 1 car, van or motorcycle and never drive any other vehicles.
RAC Roadside Cover provides you with basic assistance if you break down more than 1/4 mile from your home address or the one stated on your policy. An RAC patrol will fix your car, (or any other eligible vehicle) at the road side using their on-board diagnostic tools to identify your vehicle’s faults. If they cannot fix it, they will tow your vehicle and transport you and your passengers to a local garage, where it will then be up to you to pay for any further work.
RAC Recovery, or RAC relay, increases recovery to extend to the whole of the UK. This mean that no matter where you break down, RAC will transport you, your vehicle and your passengers to any single location within the UK. This could be back to your home, to a garage local to where you live or, to any other location in the UK.
RAC Home start entitles you to assistance from the RAC if your car won’t start at home or if you break down within the first 1/4 mile of home.
Onward Travel Cover from RAC entitles you to a number of options if you break down and it is important that you complete your journey. If the RAC patrol cannot repair your vehicle or arrange a local garage to repair the problem in a reasonable time, you have a number of options; you could choose to have a replacement vehicle to complete your journey, or overnight accommodation while your car is being fixed, or a third option would be the cost of public transport to complete your journey and to pick up your vehicle once it has been fixed. All these options have a limit as to how much you can claim, please see www.rac.co.uk for full terms and conditions.
RAC European Cover There are 2 levels of cover with policies covering anything from a 1 day single trip to an annual policy that will allow you to make multiple trips.
- Basic Cover this is for single trips from 1 day to 5 days and gives you basic roadside assistance but in Europe.
- Comprehensive Cover is available as either a single trip option or as an annual policy that will allow you to make multiple trips to Europe. Coverage for this type of policy give you everything that is included in the basic policy but extends your cover to include accommodation, onward traveling costs and help with the cost of getting your vehicle back to the UK if it cannot be fixed where you broke down.